Gilberties Garden Center
7 Sylvan Lane
Westport, CT 06880
Monday - Saturday
8:30 am - 5:30 pm
Sunday - 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Established in 1922, Gilbertie’s is a 4th generation, family owned garden center that’s been a staple in Westport for close to 100 years. We provide certified organic products throughout the northeast and serve our own community by donating generously to local gardens, charities and schools. We truly believe in the power of plants, hosting free lectures and classes seeking to teach the importance of growing organically and sustainably, benefiting not only our own health, but that of the world around us.
We are the largest herb plant grower on the East Coast with expansive greenhouses and a delightful gift shop. Our grounds are surrounded by theme gardens providing an inspired experience for both the casual gardener and the serious botanist. We offer annuals, perennials, trees, shrubs, tropical plants, pond supplies, fish, pottery, statuary, fall pumpkin picking and hay rides, Christmas trees, holiday décor, succulents and indoor houseplants!
Visit us Monday through Saturday from 8:30AM to 5:30PM & Sundays from 9:00AM to 4:00PM.
Looking for the latest events, deals and promos? Sign-up to our newsletter here.
The Perfect Gift for Any Gardener!
Finding the perfect gift for the gardeners in your life can be a daunting task. You want something that they'll truly appreciate and enjoy, but with so many options out there, it's hard to know where to start.
Luckily, we have the ideal solution that will make any gardening enthusiast's heart skip a beat: Gilbertie's Gift Cards. With a wide range of organic herbs, veggies, and flowers to choose from, our gift cards allow them to create their dream garden. In this blog post, we'll dive deeper into the benefits of our gift cards, making it easier for you to surprise your loved ones with the perfect gardening gift.
Flexibility and Convenience
One of the standout features of Gilbertie's Gift Cards is the flexibility they offer. Your recipient can redeem the gift card both online and at our Westport store. Whether they prefer the convenience of online shopping or the joy of browsing our store in person, they have the freedom to choose. Our Westport store is open on Fridays and Saturdays, so they can plan their visit accordingly to explore our wide selection of gardening merchandise.
No Expiration Date
Unlike many other gift cards, Gilbertie's Gift Cards never expire. We believe in giving your loved ones ample time to plan and create their dream garden. Whether they want to start right away or wait for the perfect moment, they can take their time without worrying about their gift card losing its value. Our gift cards are valid for a generous five years from the date of activation, ensuring that they have plenty of time to enjoy their gardening journey.
Online Purchases Made Easy
For the convenience of our customers, our gift cards can be used for online purchases. This means that even if your recipient is unable to visit our Westport store, they can still browse our website and choose from our extensive collection of organic herbs, veggies, and flowers. It's a seamless and hassle-free way to shop for their gardening needs from the comfort of their own home.
Gilbertie's Gift Cards are the ultimate gift for any gardener in your life. With the freedom to choose from our wide selection of organic herbs, veggies, and flowers, your loved ones can bring their garden dreams to life. The flexibility, convenience, and no expiration date make our gift cards the perfect choice. Surprise your gardening enthusiast with a gift that will inspire and delight them on their journey towards a flourishing garden.
BUY 2 Jars of Gilbertie’s Tomato Sauce, GET 1 Pint Basil Plant FREE
For just $24.00
FREE DELIVERY AND ASSEMBLY:
For just $299.99
FREE DELIVERY AND ASSEMBLY:
Elevated Raised Bed
For just $239.99
FREE DELIVERY AND ASSEMBLY:
Rustic Garden Wedge
For just $299.99
In the Know...
Creating a thriving garden
If you are a gardener, you know every day is Earth Day, but it is good to take time each year to celebrate Mother Earth and nurture her with support and love. Gilbertie’s can help you celebrate, not just on April 22, but every day of the year by incorporating practices both new and old to conserve and repair our planet.
1. Plant a tree. This is the standard suggestion for Earth Day, mostly because it’s a good one. Trees clean the air, provide us with shade and when planted in their native habitat, help preserve their local environment.
2. Plant native pollinators. If you caught our recent talk on native pollinators, you know their benefits to the earth and your local area. If you missed it, catch our April 29 lecture on Attracting Birds and Butterfly’s with Native Shrubs and Perennials in Your Landscape.
3. Plant and grow organically. Keeping chemicals and pesticides out of our soil and water supply is one of the biggest ways we can help our Earth. Gilbertie’s Organics is steeped in a 100-year growing history where we have consistently dedicated ourselves to improving and expanding our organic offerings.
4. Grow a vegetable garden. Our organic tomatoes and vegetable plants are filling our greenhouses now. Though New England weather is not conducive to placing them in your garden until the temperatures are consistently above 50 degrees Fahrenheit at night, (usually around the 10th of May), we have a full selection for you to grow healthy, chemical-free produce for your family. Not sure where to start? Ask us, or better yet, purchase Sal’s best-selling book, Small Plot, High-yield Gardening. It is filled with advice and garden plans to get you going and keep you growing.
5. Compost. Composting kitchen scraps, leaves, twigs, and other yard waste can yield a rich gold for your garden while keeping waste out of landfills. Enriched with wiggleroom locally farmed worm castings; you can harvest your own compost gold at home. We also carry Coast of Maine products enriched with compost and compost-only mixtures. Every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday during the spring we also offer compost tea for your gardens.
6. Recycle. While many households already recycle, it is important to educate yourself on what is and isn’t accepted in your community. Contact your town to get a list of items. Recycling items that are not on the list could result in your entire recycling bin being tossed in the trash. Follow Instagram accounts such as @sustainablewestport , @sustainableweston and @sustainablefairfield for additional information.
7. Reuse. YouTube and social media are bursting with DIY projects designed to take everyday items that might end up in the trash and turn them into something new and useful. Remember Gilbertie’s plastic pots can be reused to replant seedlings at your home, or we will take them back and use them again in our greenhouses.
8. Plan a neighborhood clean-up. It is a great way to teach children to care for our earth and keep your neighborhood trash free. You can also adopt the practice of keeping a bag in your car or on your person when you are out walking, hiking, or exploring nature—pick up trash along your route as you go!
9. Join an earth-friendly organization. Our area hosts a plethora of organizations dedicated to the preservation and restoration of our planet. Just a few local organizations you may want to explore:
10. Contribute to earth friendly non-profits. A quick internet search will yield a variety of global, national, state, and local organizations dedicated to any number of plant, water, air, marine, mammal and aviary causes supporting our earth. Find the one that fits you and your family’s values and concerns.